Creating Client-Service Excellence within Business Services for AmLaw 100 Firm
Steptoe & Johnson
Recognizing that improving the level of customer service to both internal and external clients would benefit the bottom line and improve efficiencies, premier international law firm Steptoe engaged Builden Partners to design, implement and institutionalize a firmwide continuous improvement initiative.
Builden Partners developed the core components of this first-ever program including:
- Client service workshop for department heads and directors of office administration to identify areas for improvement
- Intra- and extra-departmental surveys to benchmark internal customer service and identify areas for improvement
- Tools and resources for staff and managers
- Standards for effective customer service
- Client service training workshops for business services staff in each office and department
- Awards systems to reinforce the right behaviors
For more than a year, we deeply engaged with senior leadership − guiding the departments and offices across the firm as they worked to solve issues, improve communications and build a stronger foundation of cooperation and collegiality. The firm also trademarked the A Step Above name we created for the program in order to protect its use on internal and external-facing materials.
Our work in this pivotal area has led to this initiative becoming a cornerstone of the firm’s vision and culture – benefiting the firm and its clients.